Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so starting our day with nutritious food is a must. Research shows that combining protein, fiber and healthy omega-3s will help our kids learn, focus, concentrate and have healthy sustained energy throughout the day. I know we don’t have time every morning to cook food from scratch, BUT if you can give your kids a special treat on their first few days back, this one is sure to be a crowd-pleaser (so say’s the Morello Test Kitchen :)) The boys loved these coconut flour pancakes topped with their favourite maple syrup. Hope you love them as much as we do.
1/2 cup of coconut flour
4 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 medium banana
2/3 cup of almond milk
2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
pinch of salt
coconut oil for greasing the pan
OPTIONAL (scoop of vanilla whey protein powder)
1. In a mixer or blender add all the wet ingredients (almond milk, eggs, banana, vanilla, coconut oil, honey) and blend
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir until well combined
3. Grease a large skillet with coconut oil
4. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet on medium heat
5. Cook until golden brown.
7. Top with your favourite toppings like blueberries, sliced strawberries, and syrup.