1. Consume a diet rich in whole, raw foods that have gone through minimal processing? They provide a greater variety of nutrients and bring our diet back to how our ancestors used to eat.
2. Reduce daily calorie consumption by 500 calories to safely lose 1 pound (0.5 kg) per week. Combine fewer calories with burning an additional 500 calories per day during exercise, and you can lose 2 pounds (1 kg) per week. If you weigh more than 175 pounds (79 kg), it is safe to lose more than 2 pounds (1 kg) per week.
3. Eat five to six small meals per day. If you are in the initial phases of weight loss, you may want to consider replacing one or two meals per day with a whey or vegan protein shake.
4. Avoid starchy or sugary foods—get rid of everything white in your cupboards.
5. Avoid hydrogenated oils (trans fats) and junk foods (high-calorie, low-nutrient foods). Junk
foods and processed foods are sent directly to your bloodstream and cause a rapid increase in blood
sugar levels and insulin production.
6. Use whey protein or vegan powders to help stabilize blood sugar levels. Start your day with a protein smoothie.
7. Eliminate artificial sweeteners; switch to natural sweeteners such as stevia, xylitol, coconut sugar or agave nectar.
8. Limit salt intake.
9. Limit alcohol consumption.
10. Exercise daily—try to burn 250 to 500 calories per day. Combine aerobic, strength, and stretching exercises.
11. Drink lots of pure, filtered water—eight glasses per day. More if you’re exercising or drink coffee.
12. Supplement with probiotics, a multivitamin, and omega-3s from fish oil every day. These are your foundational nutrients.
13. Get plenty of sleep. Scientific studies increasingly link lack of sleep to the obesity epidemic.